Saturday, September 26, 2009

This Week in a Nutshell

It's been a good week. Although my fall reading goal is not doing so well, I've finished one book but have hardly started the other, things are going good.
I made butter Thursday before work. I'm amazed at how almost effortless it was to do. The butter came together in no time. Tomorrow, I'll be making pancakes out of the buttermilk, yum.
I finished The Light Fantastic last night and started In Defense of Food which is proving to me really interesting. I'm hoping that this book gives me some insight on how to get away from this processed food world and into good cooking.
I've been eating my blackberry jam. It's good to sit back and watch the leaves change while eating blackberry jam from a humid day in August. It's a sweet, sweet memory. I'm hoping to take my friend, Heather, to go apple picking or pumpkin picking. I love her. She's such a dear. It's good to have a friend that has the same homesteading interests as I do. There's not many people around her that I know that do.
One of my mangers at work has really helped me with the canning and the gardening. She's from the south and, bless her heart, from my favorite southern state, Georgia. She walked me through pickling, and jamming. She's the gal I go to for advice. And get this, her mother still cans and she ain't a youngin' but 70-some! I would really love to meet her.
With the apples and pumpkins I plan to pick, the pumpkins will go to pies and the apples to pie and apple butter. I know that I said I was done with canning but apple butter is to die for. It's even better when you know that you can just toss it into the crockpot for a few hours! I'm craving for a good apple butter.

1 comments:

Karen Sue said...

I finished my first book last night. I don't know how I'll do, but if I read any, that's good! I just have had this collection of books from my mom collecting dust on my nightstand. I need to read and return... I'm thinking about apples this week, too. It is a rainy morning and I think rain through the week. I'm halfway to the apple farm today on my way to Andrea's volleyball game, but don't know if we'll go all the way or not. I like Pippins for applesauce and have been thinking about trying the crockpot for that. The canner is at my mom's and is used only there, because of my cooktop restriction.. but I could freeze it here. All of my corn is still in my mom's freezer. Guess I'd better give her some room on that, too. Glad it's volleyball tonight and not football, Don't really want to stand out in this rain...
Have a great day.
Karen

Post a Comment