Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Beginnings of Beautiful Relationship

I believe Wednesdays are going to start to be my days to cook. To cook what ever I want for dinner. Why not? I'm itching to get in the kitchen a learn. Why stop me? I'm so much different than I was a year ago. It amazes me. Heck, I year ago I still wasn't cleaning up after myself properly. Now, dishes get done and the kitchen is cleaned. Not to mention good foo made.
Above was tonights dinner. Panko crusted chicken, oven fries, and a mixed green salad with leaf lettuce, carrots, broccoli, green peppers, cucumbers, and radishs. See? I can make a well balanced meal. The only thing that I would change is the ketchup.
I love ketchup and eat it with just about everything. Fries, hot dogs, hamburgers, almost anything chicken, meat loaf, ect. But the high fructose corn syrup in it just makes me uncomfortable. According to Dietfacts.com, Heiz ketchup has 15 calories per tablespoon. It's really not bad but the third ingrediant is HFCS (high frutose corn syrup) and then after that corn syrup. Wasn't the HFCS enough? Just pump it for of more sugar! Four grams, in fact, of it.
On one of my trips to Lancaster last year I picked up a bottle of ketchup that was made by the local Amish. It just wasn't my thing. So I'm now on the search for a good commerical ketcup. Now, Annie's Naturals ketchup sounds like a winner. No HFCS just sugar. The nutritional facts state the same 15 calories per tablespoon but only 2 grams of sugar.
Wait...so both products are 15 calories per tablespoon but the one with corn syrup is higher in sugar content than the other. Interesting. Can this be the answer to why American hinies are getting larger? I think this calls for farther investigation.

2 comments:

Wren said...

Hey Rachel! I noticed you lived in PA, so here is the link for the Penn State Agricultural..

http://extension.psu.edu/counties

Click on your county and it will take you to your extension office. You can call them about the soil kits. It costs a couple bucks to have one sent to you. Directions are in the kit.. Think we got our report back in a week or so, once I got around to mailing the dirt! Will do a post on it here soon.. My dad has been doing it for years with excellent results from the garden. Worth the time and effort!

Thanks for your comment and for stopping by! Best of luck to you!
~Beegirl

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

Not only does that sound good but it looks really amazing. I think I am going to have to eat now! ;)

Post a Comment